Sunday, October 09, 2005

You’ve Got this Momma Spoiled Rotten!

by Anita S. Lane


That child is spoiled rotten. We’ve all heard it said or thought it about someone’s child. Maybe even our own. I admit it. I think I’ve “spoiled” each of my children—in a good way. But what I didn’t expect is that I would be spoiled in return.

I gave birth to my first child at age thirty. I was a happily-married, confident, career-woman with loving, supportive family and great friends. I wasn’t having a child in order to create a human being to shower me with love and affection. Quite the opposite, I believe God gives us children for us to love, adore and shower with all the unconditional love and affection we can muster. So what happened?

Five years and four children into this mothering adventure I find that I’m a much different woman than I was five years ago. My children love to be held, cuddled, kissed, caressed and told “I love you.” These gestures may not have meant much to me five years ago but today, they mean the world to me.

Each morning I look forward to hearing my daughter’s sweet, soft voice say the words, “Good morning, Mommy.” I cherish the moment each time my one year-old stops what he’s doing, wobbles over to me and lays his head on my knee—his way of taking time to say, “I love you…” It makes my heart stop.

I blush each time my three year-old son looks up from his booster seat at the kitchen table and says without solicitation, “I love you, Mommy.” When I tuck my one year-old in at night he gently strokes my head as he falls asleep (did he learn that from me?). It’s so sweet and it truly warms my heart.

Yes, I’m spoiled rotten. I even have to turn my head while reprimanding my son to avoid succumbing to his demands when he flashes those big, adorable puppy-dog eyes (with long beautiful eye lashes—I might add) and begins shedding those giant crocodile tears.

I’ve become thoroughly accustomed to my daily doses of hugs, kisses and cuddles and I’d probably be a wreck without them.

One day while going about my regular daily routine, my daughter interrupts and says, “Mommy, you’re the best mommy in the whole world,” and she envelopes me in a great, big hug.

I knew when I set out to have children that I would love them with all of my heart. What I didn’t realize is that they would love me with all of theirs. Yes, my children may be spoiled (not rotten), but they’ve got their momma spoiled rotten!

Copyright ©2005 by Anita S. Lane
Visit my online magazine for moms

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is creative, keep up the great work. If you like to learn, I'm sure you'd be interested in Landscape Architecture/Horticulture Degree Online Take a look, if you have a minute for Landscape Architecture/Horticulture Degree Online.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anita S. Lane, I need articles for my site, home school books, so I did a search for home school books and came across your site. I just read your entry, You’ve Got this Momma Spoiled Rotten! and thought I could use this entry as an article. I of course am asking your permission before I publish it.

Anonymous said...

I would like to link to your entry, You’ve Got this Momma Spoiled Rotten! , Anita S. Lane . It would be a perfect fit for my website homeschool curriculum , with your permission.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anita S. Lane, I read your entry, You’ve Got this Momma Spoiled Rotten!. I would like to use it on my site homeschool lesson plans with your permission.

Anonymous said...

I would like to link to your entry, You’ve Got this Momma Spoiled Rotten! , Anita S. Lane . It would be a perfect fit for my website home school books , with your permission.